2018 was all over the place. Since the first and second halves of my year were so different, it is almost hard to believe they can be classified together. The year started off with me living alone in my brand new house while I waited for Noah to graduate college. I was a bright red-haired new college graduate looking for opportunities within my own hometown.
I spent the first half of the year at Starbucks, falling more in love with coffee and learning how to hold my own. Out of the blue, I ended up getting a job at one of the largest companies in town, Cummins, in the the Hospitality Department. I turned in my green apron for business casual. By this time, Noah graduated college too, and he found himself at the best specialty coffee shop in town, Lucabe Coffee Co. Us Czereszkos just can’t get away from coffee. When August came rolling around, Noah and I decided to expand our family of two, and we adopted our furry daughter from the animal shelter.
Mary Berry made me a dog mom for the first time, and my life will never be the same. With all of the change, time flew by. Not every moment was perfect, but I can look back and say that I am a better and more fulfilled person now than I was at this time last year. I have learned a lot about being an adult, a homeowner, a wife, and an individual. So, without further ado, here are 18 things that I learned in 2018:
- It’s important to spend money on things that matter: Saving money is great, but there comes a point when people work for a reason.
- I am more than my physical appearance: I don’t dislike others for their appearance, so why should I think that way about myself?
- Social media is a great form of self-expression, but it does not reflect self-worth: Life is about the full picture and not the snapshots.
- Always say hi to people, because you’ll regret it if you don’t: Moments are only as awkward as I make them.
- Take the time to keep a clean home: Life is stressful enough without heaps of laundry and dirty dishes.
- Coffee does bring people together: I have seen relationships bloom and lives change over a cup of coffee. It warms the soul.
- Creamer is not the enemy: Put cream in your tea. Just do it.
- Being a homeowner is hard: There really is always something.
- Parks and Recreation is a gift to humanity: My spirit animal is a mix between Ron Swanson and Leslie Knope.
- Mind over matter is not true when it comes to listening and honoring your body: If you are hungry, then eat. If you are tired, then relax. If you are stressed, then breathe.
- Being a dog mom is challenging but rewarding: There’s a lot of walking and a lot of poop, but the snuggles make my heart so full.
- Be honest with everyone: Every aspect of my life is better when people understand what I’m going through and where I’m at.
- Everyone has their own battles even if it doesn’t appear that way: No one’s life is perfect.
- Marriage is beautiful: I knew this before, but it just keeps getting better and better.
- Always be thankful: I am blessed beyond belief, and negativity is infectious.
- I am more than my job: What is important is the person that I am while I am working.
- Hanger is a real thing: Snickers says it best.
- God’s timing is perfect: There is no other way to explain how life works.
I know that some of those things are more deep than others, but I believe each had their place in my 2018. Even the simplest of these have made me who I am today. I am thankful for this space to share my thoughts and document my story. So here’s to a brand new year full of new journeys, hardships, and joys. New year, better me; ItsJustThatCz.